Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Matt's amazing mind

Jughead is, overall, a wonderful man. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

He has one habit in particular that is consistently wonderful, and consistently amazing to me:
He listens to everything I say. What's more, he remembers everything I say.
I swear-- his retention rate is around 90%.

At first I thought it had something to do with the initial "getting to know you" stage of the courtship process, but as we approach the one-year mark, I think it may have even improved. This is, in addition to being immensely flattering, one of the ways that he shows me great respect. I mean, I talk a lot. I make a lot of out-loud observations about a cool dog that I saw yesterday, or the way I used to think about homeless people when I was 7, or how much I would like to have an ice cream cake again... I wouldn't be offended if he let a lot of that blow past. But he doesn't.

In fact, I've noticed that he's like that with everyone to some degree, new acquaintances and old friends alike. He is very interested in what people say, and that makes them feel good.

He's also quite intuitive. He makes me more honest, in a way, because there have been times when I've been embarrassed to say something out loud, or I was about to fudge a detail to make myself sound more genteel, and then he just guessed it outright. He'll hit the nail right on the head, and in doing-so, make it abundantly clear that I have nothing to be ashamed of, and he knows me very well.

I wish I could think of some really stellar examples of this phenomenon, but you'll just have to take my word for it.

2 comments:

Dee-Oh-Ehn said...

Jughead is a most excellent dude indeed.

kate said...

Seconded! One of my favorite people ever.