Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tim Pawlenty is killing me

A letter came in the mail today.

"Dear Pinnacle Services staff member,

As you are likely aware, the State of Minnesota faces a 5.27 billion dollar deficit for the next two years...

When the session ended in May the legislature had authorized a 2.58% rate cut for human service providers...

You are receiving this letter because as a result of the legislative cut effective July 1, 2009 we are reducing the hourly rate by 2% for hourly direct care staff... We understand the impact of this will be significant to you... We have never laid anyone off in the history of the company and do not want to start now...

We appreciate everything that you do for the people we work with and are confident that your dedication to those people will be unwavering through this setback..."

In short, I once again am forced to say, "What am I going to do?!" I've been applying for different jobs for the past 4 or 5 months, with no responses. I don't see ANY way that I can live through the special program I'm taking in the fall semester. If I can find anything full-time and permanent, I may consider forfeiting my place in the program. Hell, this makes me consider leaving school completely. I can't afford to do it, and I can't afford not to.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Both my dad and fiance have had their hours cut too...Josh's was by 25% and my dad only works 3 days a week. Ugly stuff we have going on with jobs in this country right now :(

Dee-Oh-Ehn said...

In addition to some layoffs, people who didn't get the axe where I work got a 10% pay cut about two months ago. It's rumored that we'll get 5% back in August, and the rest by year's end, but I'm not optimistic. This is all just part of our exciting new economic climate.