Thursday, July 23, 2009

aaaaarghphfffffsshhhht!

And I mean it!!!

After applying for what feels like hundreds of job postings, here's what I have:

1. I had an interview today with a home-health agency that provides companion care to senior citizens. Did I get the job? YES. Does the job exist? Not really. This particular office is just starting out, so they won't have any hours until there are new client intakes. Sadly, "in this current economic climate", seniors aren't spending their money on in-home care, even if they need it. When there are new intakes, I will be called.

However, the woman who interviewed me was so impressed (go elsewhere for false humility), that she called her old co-worker at Fairview Hospital and gave me the direct phone number of the HR coordinator for the extended care department (which includes Hospice). So okay... networking... good.

2. I got a call this morning from another agency, about a "non-medical in-home caregiver" position. I played phone tag, so hopefully I will get another call (and have time to answer it) tomorrow.

3. I just got a phone call from a restaurant/pub in downtown Minneapolis about a host/server position. I have an interview on Monday. This is the one I REALLY want! I know it would be good to keep building contacts in my field, and I know that restaurant work could mean a pay cut, but at this point, I desperately want a job where I can chat with people, run around, have some fun, make some tips... This direct-care stuff is too stressful right now.

4. But speaking of that, my current supervisor really wants me to stay with the company. She says she understands how bad my situation is, but she is doing everything she can to change it and she really really appreciates me... I already have my farewell letter written in my head, because I have to admit, this is not a good fit, and it hasn't been from the start. I am pretty miserable.

On another note: I made a huge mistake last month and I owe $929.86 to the University of Minnesota by August 5th. Any ideas?

No comments: