aka: Why I don't really have a new job...
In early May I heard from a friend that someone she knows needed an office aid/assistant for an event production and non-profit situation. Those are strong suits for me, so I sent a resume and a friendly e-mail, explaining that I thought I would be a great fit, and that we should have a talk.
A month went by without a reply.
Finally, an email response: "Would you like to come for an interview on June 1st?" Absolutely. Then he reschedules-- "Can we do this tomorrow instead?" Sure, no problem.
The interview went great. We talked about the position (working at Target Field on home game days, checking in and coordinating event staff). We talk about my experience (many years of theater, professional biking events, planning political actions at my internship, etc.). He agrees I'm a great fit. I fill out contract forms, tax forms, a background check form, a drug test form... He gives me a caramel covered brownie and says he'd like to have me start no later than June 20th. The next morning I wake up early and take the train down to Bloomington to pee in a cup.
A month has gone by without any reply.
The hourly wage is good, it sounds really fun and would be great experience, but it's seasonal! The summer is flying by! I've left two voicemails and sent two emails, but I just don't feel like begging for this. If I failed the background check or the drug test, I'd really like to know. And if I passed, then do I want to work for someone who takes a whole month to return an email? Sheesh!
I wish I hadn't been so excited that I told all my friends and family... Ugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment