Back in early December, I got a photocopied letter and six self-addressed labels from Marissa, a girl I met in school. Basically, I was supposed to copy the letter, send it to six friends, and send ONE paperback book to someone else (the person who sent the letter to Marissa). If everyone participated, I would end up with 36 random books from people who I may or may not know.
They didn't come promptly, but over the past seven months I have received many many excellent books! The most recent one came as a total surprise, last Friday. I was in a rush to go somewhere, so when I opened the envelope I saw it was a gag-gift and I didn't think much of it. It wasn't until a few days later that I realized that it's...
A "Choose Your Own Adventure" ROMANCE!
Read the back cover:
Un. Believeable.And here's the introductory page:
"You have just returned from a summer in New Hampshire where you lived on blueberries and wild greens and an occasional brook trout. When you left home, you were 25 pounds overweight-- somewhere between plump and fat. Now you have a fabulous figure.
Ever since you can remember, you have dreamed of being thin. You have spent hours in your room turning the pages of Seventeen magazine, looking at the models and wondering what it must feel like to be so slim...."
The copywrite date it 1983. This is really fucked up.
Here's a line from page 22:
"'No problem,' you say. Nothing you do could ever be a problem, you think."
This is REALLY fucked up. And it's just the kind of morbid, politically incorrect stuff that I really get a kick out of. I don't know anyone in Wauwatosa, WI... so this was sent to me by a stranger, or rather, a friend of a friend. You must have known that I could really use some romance in my life. Thank you, whoever you are.

2 comments:
Everyone hates fatties.
Don't be anonymous-- give a name!
And if this book proves anything, it's that nobody hates fatties more than a former fatty.
Post a Comment