In an effort to be a more authentic person, spend less money in the future, be less vain, and be more comfortable with myself (bet you didn’t know $7.99 could buy so much!)—I have decided to stop dying my hair.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that some of you didn’t know I colored, and probably most of you don’t care, but I’ve been messing around with my hair color pretty regularly for the last 10 years.
My hair was very light blonde when I was a kid, and as I got older, my hair got darker. That’s totally normal. But being an adolescent girl, and having all the insecurities that come with that, I believed that you’re only pretty if you’re the blondest blonde in Blondesville.
I used Sun-In at the beach, Sun-In at home with a blow-dryer, peroxide in a spray bottle, cap-fulls of peroxide in my shampoo, and poured straight-up household bleach on my head. As I got a little more sophisticated, I bought permanent box-dye, and felt extremely paranoid about “roots”. Most recently, I’ve been using a semi-permanent dye that fades out over time, and doesn’t look fakey.
But now, I’m done with it. You know what? I’m still blonde. I have let go of the cravings for platinum, and realized that my natural hair color is a golden wheat color.
My last box of dye was called, “Dark Blonde”. I think it looks nice, and natural, and from now on… I’m going to be me.
1 comment:
Well, I bought my henna hair dye in bulk so it was about $1 per dye, turned me into a silly green monster for two hours, and smelled like heaven. It was actually pretty hard to give that all up!
I'm a real blonde now, too. Highfivesville!
Post a Comment