Sunday, August 8, 2010

Victory for BIRDS!


I got to work a little before 8:00 this morning, and began my opening operations. Throughout the restaurant, servers and bartenders were wiping tables and counters, setting silverware and getting the place ready for another Sunday brunch. Suddenly, my co-worker, Ryan called out, "There's a bird in here!" I looked over toward the table where he was, and sure enough, there was a little brown sparrow fluttering about! My manager, Patricia, who was standing next to me said, "Alisha, are you any good at catching birds?" As a matter of fact, I am.

The booths at The Local are big, cushioned leather affairs, with dark wood trim and lots of etched glass. Just as I had my hands cupped around this little bird, he fell down a very narrow crack between the back of the booth and the wall! Everyone was worried, thinking that he might have died, or would die... and we didn't really know what to do. I borrowed a key-chain flashlight to look down the crack. I found used menus, crumpled napkins, old french fries and silverware, but no bird.

About an hour went by before Ryan and I decided to try to rescue the sparrow one more time. We found a screwdriver, and Ryan unscrewed the baseboard that runs along the length of the bench (about 12 feet or so). It took a little time to get the board off, but when we did, there was! A little brown sparrow just standing on the floor, looking around. I quickly scooped him into my hands, whispered some encouragement, and let him go outside. I named him "Brunchie." He flew off down Nicollet Mall, and I was very happy to see him free.

No comments: