Hey there! Here I am!
I moved on Sunday! Contrary to my expectations, it was actually a very chill and easy-going day. Darling BETH came over promptly at 10:00 and helped me move a bunch of stuff from my room down to the front porch. Over the previous week I managed to get all of my belongings confined to my bedroom and the porch (with just a few items in the garage), and BOY did that make a difference! Around noon, Jughead joined in to help with the furniture, and between the three of us, we managed to be totally finished by 4:00 PM. Bone-tired, we enjoyed a celebratory meal of Kobe beef burgers, tater-tots, delicious beers and a huge German chocolate cupcake at the Bulldog NE.
The only dark spot to mention is that when I woke up on Sunday morning, I knew I had a cold. I managed to work through it during the actual move, but by the end of dinner, I was really hurting. I got back to the new place alone (Beth went home and Jughead will be moving in next weekend), and spent about an hour stumbling from room to room, not accomplishing much. Seeing all of my stuff in a place that I'd only visited twice before was really disorienting, and I couldn't get my head into it. I decided to call it a draw-- I took a fabulous bath in my brand-new tub, and went to sleep at 8:00.
I used the move as an excuse yesterday and didn't go in to my internship. Today, still feeling sickly and sore, I didn't go to class. I feel a touch of guilt, but I know that I really need these two days to recuperate and get a grip on my new surroundings. The first meal I made in the new kitchen (which is big and clean and bright, by the way) was a slow-cooker batch of lentil-vegetable stew with a ham hock. Jughead came home from work last night and ate some, and he said that more than almost anything else, it made him really excited to come home again.
I'm currently in a coffee shop just 4 blocks away from the new house. It's small and inexpensive (coffee-- $1 a cup), and feels quite Madison-ish. We won't have internet at home for a week or two, but I'm using this as an opportunity to see some people and places in my neighborhood.
I'll share some photos once everything is placed a little more permanently. If you'd like our new address (send cards and letters and drawings!), let me know.
3 comments:
*HOME*
Yes indeed. That is THE WORD.
Congrats on the move! Hope you're feeling cozy and comfortable soon!
Post a Comment