I've had several conversations with people in the past few weeks about my shopping philosophy. Finding "the right thing" is even more satisfying if I can find it in a second-hand store. Not only is it much cheaper, but it's more likely to be one-of-a-kind, or at least feel that way. It's more satisfying to hunt through racks of mixed up garments, than to go to a department store and just grab a "M" off the rack.
One of the reasons I enjoy being a host at The Local is that I get to dress nicely every day. I'm sure I'll grow weary of it eventually; probably sometime this winter when I'm lethargic and worn out and I want to stay in bed all day-- but for now, I look forward to putting together different outfits.
Yesterday I walked into work and was greeted by a co-worker, "Oh Alisha, you always look so elegant!" That's a wonderful compliment! Even more so because the shoes I was wearing were $3.00 at Steeple People, the tights were given to me by someone who doesn't like the color brown, the sweater was $1.00 at St. Vinnies, and I found the skirt in a rag-box on the curb! I made my necklace, and the earrings were a gift from my mom back in 1996.
I think an "elegant" $4.00 outfit is something to pat myself on the back for.
No comments:
Post a Comment