Thursday, April 15, 2010

I now interrupt my regularly scheduled programming...

Oh who am I kidding? I have the attention-span and dedication of a fig right now, thanks to this absolutely BEEEEEAUTIFUL weather! I know I've said it before in several ways, but the spring thaw and subsequent bloom is utterly incongruous to my schedule and workload.

That is to say, I am smack-dab in the middle of a stretch of school/work/school/work/other commitments that is 26 days long. Really. 26 days without a 24-hour period free of obligations. I HATE that, and I will probably end up playing hookie a couple times, just to get some precious lounge-time in before running off to the next thing.

At the moment I'm gearing up to researching and writing a paper that's due on Monday. It's for my "Biology of Aging" class, and while the 5-pages and 15-minute presentation parameters aren't particularly frightening, I somehow have to teach myself enough about the accumulation of beta amyloid in the brain and it's possible links to dementia to present to a class of PhD students and my professor. It's going to be... ugly. And embarrassing.


Before I go, I want to take a few minutes to tell you about what's coming up in my garden! We finally got a goooood rain storm last night, which is a big relief.
Here's what's planted:
- beets (Detroit red variety-- tons of them, like 6 rows)
- kale
- carrots
- soy beans
- snow peas
- lettuce (both bibb and mesclun greens)
- radishes (sparkler and French breakfast varieties)
- nasturtiums
- marigolds (petite lion mix, jaguar and scarlet starlet-- which is probably the best name ever) and
- ZINNIAS (starlight mix, pinwheel, candy cane and lilliput-- because I just can't get enough of them)

1 comment:

Dee-Oh-Ehn said...

Last weekend we made some moves on the garden. Mr. Bond emptied the composted compost from the composter (say that 5x fast) and got it integrated into the beds. And so far, Katie and I have got...

garlic, shallots, collards, spinach, and bok choi planted.

Assuming the weather holds, I think we'll be trying to get some more stuff in this weekend.

Color me stoked for summer.